Tuesday, August 28, 2007

#25 Google Lab/Base

I looked for information on Google Base because I'm not sure why this is a unique service. It seems to be yet another database to store information that is available for others. If I want a recipe, why switch over to Google Base when Google can bring up a spicy chicken recipe from Wolfgang Puck--not readily available on Google Base. This is my opinion from a researchers point-of-view. But if you don't want to host your own website of free recipes, Google Base is a good service. Also looks like Base is a place to advertise--I did a search on research papers and found several services that were available via Base.

What may be useful for libraries is the events and activities section. I did a search for UAF and found concerts and sporting events listed.

Google Labs looked more interesting--I started working on creating a web page. Very easy to use. I also looked at the accessibility features, read up on the work that Google is doing to make sites more accessible to the visually impaired.

Again, I don't know that I would use these features on a daily basis--it's one more place to go!

No comments: